- Kit Carson out: Name change spotlights pioneering principal's impact at Las Vegas school
- Monday, Sept. 14, 2020
- She coordinated for icons Muhammad Ali and Sammy Davis Jr. to visit the Kit Carson Elementary School in the 1960s. She also went out of her way to raise money so the West Las Vegas children could take field trips to Disneyland and the Grand Canyon. For Helen Anderson Toland, it was all in a day’s work.
- Distance learning presents new challenges for CCSD’s English Language Learner Division
- Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020
- Suzanne Romero, a first-grade teacher at Tom Williams Elementary School in North Las Vegas, says many of her students have immigrants parents who aren’t familiar with the American school ...
- Citing safety, organizer holding onto signatures in recall effort against Fiore
- Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020
- Expel Michele gathered signatures from 656 voters in Ward 6 as part of the effort, but fell short of the 1,911 needed signatures in 90 days to trigger a recall election.
- Board votes to rename Kit Carson Elementary after school's Black former principal
- Friday, Sept. 11, 2020
- The Clark County School Board voted Thursday night to rename Kit Carson Elementary School because of Carson’s role in the death of hundreds of Native Americans during the colonization of the West ...
- School District now providing free meals to all students
- Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020
- The Clark County School District is now providing free meals to all students, instead of just those who qualify based on family income. The program was expanded starting today after ...
- Employee data possibly exposed in School District ransomware attack
- Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020
- Clark County School District employees may have had their personal information, including Social Security numbers, exposed during a ...
- School Board to discuss renaming Kit Carson Elementary
- Friday, Sept. 4, 2020
- The Clark County School Board is considering renaming Kit Carson Elementary School International Academy because of Carson’s role in the death of hundreds of ...
- CCSD students urged to safeguard access codes after report of on-screen nudity
- Friday, Sept. 4, 2020
- Officials with the Clark County School District are asking parents to instruct their children to not share access codes and passwords to their virtual classroom ...
- Food delivery apps defying county's cap on fees, restaurants say
- Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020
- Multiple Clark County restaurant owners say third-party delivery companies aren’t following a temporary cap in service fees while the coronavirus state of emergency is in effect ...
- Fiore on the homeless and coronavirus: ‘Let them play in dirt’
- Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020
- When it comes to coronavirus, homeless people are like kids: “Let them play in dirt. They don’t get sick,” Las Vegas Councilwoman Michele Fiore said today. Fiore made ...
General Assignment Report
Email » | 702-948-7854
Sara MacNeil is originally from Albuquerque, N.M. She has reported in newsrooms in New Mexico, Louisiana and Alabama. She has covered everything from murder trials to elections to landmark legislation, with a readiness for accountability journalism.
- Locally owned and independent since 1950; Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, best news website in the nation & DuPont Award for broadcast journalism
© Las Vegas Sun, 2020, All Rights Reserved
Las Vegas Sun 2275 Corporate Circle, Ste. 300 Henderson, NV 89074